Saturday, October 3, 2009

DoG Tour - 85 miles of enjoyment

Today was the Day of Generosity Cycling Tour, an event to support the Grace Brethren International Missions and national missionaries.  Brian, Ryan and myself were along for the 80 mile route, which was actually 85 miles.

Under questionable skies we rode west to Ashland.  It was about 52 degrees when we left and the forecast didn't predict the temperature to make it out of the 50's.  We made a stop in Ashland, near Brian's place of work, for a coffee warmup and then headed north to Spencer.


Coffee break in Ashland.



The bikes took a rest during the coffee break too.

From Homerville north to Spencer we caught an excellent tailwind.  We shared some good pulls as we sped north with ease on SR301.  Brian made the prediction, "I think we are going to pay for that on the way home."


Tail wind plus a good road equals high speed.

Upon our arrival in Spencer we stopped at a convenience store for food and bottle refills.  Pop Tarts, Fig Newtons, and peanut butter cracker sandwiches were the popular choices.  Ryan  polished off a zip lock bag of Cheez-Its he packed for the ride.  I've got to say, I have been entertained over the years by the food he brings on a ride!  :-)


Food stop in Spencer.

Brian's prediction was very, very true.  We were eating a headwind for about 25 miles from Spencer south to Overton.  The sun had sporadically shone itself throughout the ride, mostly between Ashland and Spencer.  But on this final stretch we pedaled beneath heavily overcast skies.

My legs were toast after a couple pulls.  I felt like I couldn't recover from the efforts, no thanks to the persistent wind.  Fortunately Ryan and Brian were still strongly turning the pedals over and we pushed onward to Overton.

From Overton it was south to Smithville-Western and a eastward climb out of the valley.  We approached the climb and I dropped my chain shifting to the small ring.  I couldn't shift it back on and had to stop and dismount to the return the chain to its useful position.  Great, a perfect way to start a climb.

Thankfully my legs had recovered during our eased pace, and the blocked wind, on Overton Rd.  I felt better and had a good climb up Smithville Western.  After a long wait to cross SR83, we returned to the church where we had started.


Representing the OCC.

It was a pretty good ride: we stayed dry and warm, the route was enjoyed with some new roads for me, and we helped support international missions.  I'm glad the three of us were able to meet up and ride!

2 comments:

  1. Nice reading your ride for a great cause! I got my lazy butt outside too by 4:10 pm for a three hours ride on the 'cross bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good documenting Aaron. I like the picture of the 3 bikes and the picture of us in Spencer.

    ReplyDelete