Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Worms, Cottage & DST

It's time for a little catch up on the happenings since the beginning of this past weekend....

The big excitement of the weekend, and Monday, was a family trip to Dillon State Park.  We stayed in a small cottage for a couple nights and enjoyed the fall colors and weather.  Katie made a post with some nice pictures here.  It was a nice extended weekend.

Just prior to leaving for the State Park on Saturday, Ryan and I made it out for a nice ride around the block.  What was not nice was the aftermath of our ride.  It had rained the night before and the roads were a bit damp, no standing water that I remember, just damp.  Upon return home I was shocked to see the amount of worms, worm pieces, and worm guts our bikes were carrying.

On a ride in the spring we experienced a similar wormy situation but it was nowhere near this gross.  As Katie was packing up for our trip, I was in the basement trying to get the bulk of worm gunk cleaned up.  I was afraid of how bad the basement would smell if I left it go until we came back.


Post ride bike posing in the front yard.

Usually I use a damp rag to clean my road bike, but the rag was not working on the worminess, it was just smearing the slimy, bloody worm residue all over the place.  I ended up with the bike in the front yard, using a garden hose and a brush to clean up the mess.


Downtube worm chunk cling-ons.

Tonight was the last OCC night ride ride of the year that departed from the shop in daylight.  Sunset was at 6:28 today but with the expiration of daylight savings time, subsequent rides will depart in the dark.

It was another good ride tonight.  On the way out Ryan asked me if I had fun cleaning the worms off my bike after our Saturday ride.  It was not just me plagued by the worm cleanup project!

No comments:

Post a Comment