Monday, October 12, 2009

Road Ride to MTB Race in Loudonville

Yesterday was a good day on the bike.  Ryan and a handful of OCC/Soupcan Racing guys were doing an OMBC (Ohio Mountain Bike Championship) race at Mohican State Park, and I rode down to see the guys at the finish.  KT and Daniel also came down to see us at the finish and then go for a hike with Helena and her mom.  It was the third or fourth time I've ridden to Loudonville.  On previous rides I'd taken a west then south route but yesterday I decided to try a south then west route. 


Just into Holmes Co., looks like the perfect candidate for a haunted house.

I road out of Wayne County on South Elyria road and continued into Holmes County until the road dead ended.  Turning right, I ventured westward on some new roads.  You never know which roads are paved or gravel or dirt in Holmes County.  I brought a small pencil with me to make notes on my map about which roads were good.

A crowd assembled when I stopped for a "nature break" along the road.

The weather was perfect and I found some really scenic township roads.  With recon data of the route and crossroads wirtten on my map, I have a good idea for a winter cross bike route on some unpaved roads.  As I closed in on Wally Road, south of Loudonville, I made a wrong turn on some twisty township roads and ended up flying down a dirt/gravel road before realizing I would have to back track.  When I turned around and looked at where I had come from, I had to take a picture.  It looked like a farm access road.


Twice traveled.


A sunny, fall day.

After pedaling solo on lonely backroads for two hours I rolled into the campground where the mountain bike race finished.  I tried to hold a track stand at the entrance to the campground while two racers passed in front of me.  There was still a racer coming from my left but my track stand was at its limit.  I pedaled onto the campground road and looked back to see... Ryan!  He was riding on a flat rear tire as he crossed the finish line.


The Soupcan guys had fnished and the OCC guys were continuing to come in as I wandered about the finish area.  Katie and Daniel had arrived and we were all taking in the spectacle.  Daniel liked all the bikes but seemed a bit overwhelmed by all the activity.

As the racers continued to finish I made it around the finish area to hear the race stories from the OCC and Soupcan guys.  Flat tires, exploded pedals, podium finishes, and more.  I guess a good time was had by all, or at least most.

No comments:

Post a Comment