Tuesday, November 10, 2009

End of Season Litespeed Re-tread

Prior to heading out on my ride the other day I made a tire swap.  For the past two seasons plus I have been riding on the tires that came with my Litespeed, a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick.  They have been good tires, no complaints whatsoever, and seem to have lasted a long time.  I'm guessing they have 6 to 7,000 miles on them and the rear tire has started to show threads.


I have a new pair of Hutchinson Fusion tires at the ready, but I was hesitant to put these on this time of year.  My fear is to be out on a night ride and cut or otherwise damage a brand new pair of lightweight tires.  Instead, I used some credit I had with Performance Bike to buy a pair of cheap, heavy and hopefully durable tires.

The Forte GT2 Kevlar tires are a house brand tire from Performance.  They are definitely heavy at 295 grams for a 700c by 25mm tire.  The tires were on sale for $12.99 each when I ordered and free shipping was offered.  The reviews indicated they are durable, hopefully the Kevlar lining helps with durability.

The tires went on relatively easily.  I wasn't sure if the wire bead would make things more difficult, it didn't seem to matter.


Out on the road I immediately noticed a rougher ride.  I had inflated the both tires to 100 psi, just as I had always done with the Vittoria tires.  Perhaps these Forte tires need to be run a lower pressure, or perhaps they are just a stiffer, less forgiving tire.  Next time out I will try 90 to 95 psi and see if there is a difference.

There's not much I would say about handling.  These tires are for making it through the end of year before switching to my cross bike for the winter, so handling is not something to be scrutinized with these tires.  They are round and roll so that is good enough for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment