Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Night Ride on Friday

Between my persistent cold of previous weeks and the wet weather this past Wednesday, I had not made it to an OCC night ride in several weeks.  I proposed a Friday night ride to Ryan and he thought it was a good idea, so I posted it to the club forum and was glad to read replies from Bob and Brian reporting they would join us.

It was a perfect night for a ride.  Temps fell from the upper to lower 40's, minimal wind, and no rain.  Bob and Brian had ridden in the rain Wednesday night and, as Brian put it, he was hoping to replace the wet memories with dry ones.

We departed in the dark and as we rode south on Kansas Rd. a bike light approached in the opposite direction.  As we passed the rider behind the light let out a devious growl, kind like Tony the Tiger in a Frosted Flakes commercial.  I didn't get a good look a the rider but Ryan and Bob said it was Lorson.  He must have been on his way home from work, as Ryan had seen him riding to work in the morning.  It's tough to know who is coming towards you in the dark, so a comical growl is as good as any greeting.

The comments throughout the ride and after were unanimous; it was a great night for a ride.  Even better than a Wednesday night ride, there was no work the next day!  My legs were toast by the final section up Rohrer.  A couple weeks off seems to have taken its toll, but it's okay this time of year.  It was fun to be out on the bike with a good group of guys!

2 comments:

  1. Arron it mas me, Had been out for 2 hours at that point and the batteries were fading quickly, and I was in time trail mode trying to get home while I could still see. I was not trying to be rude by not saying hello but that growl was all the energy I had to muster. I guess that teaches me to charge my batteries up once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, now we know the true identity of the mystery night rider. At first I thought the light up ahead was an Amish guy on a bike, but you were moving too fast to be an Amish rider!

    ReplyDelete