Sunday, January 20, 2013

Warm Woods, Cold Road

Went down to Mohican for a ride this afternoon.  It has been a while since riding a mountain bike and I chose the Karate Monkey for this ride.  I thought an eight mile out and back would be a good ride and would fit within the family schedule of the afternoon.

The temperature was right around freezing and it was windy, but I figured it wouldn't be too hard to stay comfortable in the woods.  I put on some layers, loaded the bike onto the back of the car, and headed to the trail head.

I was soon rolling out of the parking lot and into the woods.  Oh yes, the first left hand corner to start the ride... wham!  I managed to drastically oversteer myself onto my face and crash within the first 45 seconds of the ride.  Maybe I forgot how nimble the monkey rides.  I jumped back on and pretended nothing happened.

Leaves down but no snow today.

About 3 miles in I stopped and let some air out of my tires.  Ahhh... so much better.  I was getting bounced around and knew I had a few too many pounds of pressure.  About 8 miles in I reached the road and was supposed to turn back.  Instead, I talked myself into a quick descent to the covered bridge and climb up Mount Doom.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.

The downhill to the covered bridge was cold!  With no pedaling and a constant wind in my face I was chilled by the time I reached the bottom.  No worries, the climbing will heat me up.  And it did.  Two times I stalled the singlespeed on uphill corners.  I guess my legs were not ready for it but it was a good workout.

Before long I reached the second trail head and scooted over to SR97 for a ride back to the car.  I then learned what cold really felt like.  Despite zipping up and tightening wrist cuffs and hunkering down, I was frozen by the time I reached the car.  The fast downhills on the road took their toll.

Blasting the heat on the drive home and a hot McD's coffee brought me back to comfortable.  It was a good ride for this time of year, especially on the singlespeed.  I think I will feel this one tomorow.

No comments:

Post a Comment