Saturday, January 5, 2013

Motivated or Not?

Hey, I should head out for a ride when the kids take their nap this afternoon.  It looks sunny out there, but I bet it's cold.  What's the temperature? Oh yeah, the thermometer in the back window quit working.  What does Weather.com say?

Sunny, 30 degrees, 11 mph wind, feels like 20.

Aw, that's colder than I thought it would be.  Maybe I'll just pass on a ride, I've been to the gym at lunch the past three days in a row anyhow.

But... if I layered up good I should be able to stay warm.  I've done it before.  I could ride down onto the gravel roads in the swamps again, that would be scenic with the snow on the ground and ice around.  It's really bright out, but I could swap my glasses over to the grey, polarized lenses.

I know it's muzzleloader hunting weekend and there will probably be a bunch of hunters down in the swamps.  Maybe it's better not to go, and it's nice and warm in here.

The kids are in bed for naps.  Quick to the basement, there's no bad weather only bad clothing choices!

Heavy socks, heavy tights, shoes, over boots, base layer t-shirt, base layer long sleeve shirt, wool jersey, wind jacket, heavy hat, heavy gloves, pump the tires, swap the sunglass lenses... I'm getting hot in here.  Water bottle filled, snacks and cell phone packed.  Should I take the camera?  Sure, I will probably only pull it out if something looks interested, don't want frozen fingers.

Roll out!

About 35 pictures later... here are some highlights:

Nice sky.  Get moving to stay warm.

 Snow covered and icy in the swamps.

 It's a bit nippy out, but I'm warm.

 The roads are clear, just full of cinders.

 Heading back into the swamp,
having more fun than I look.

 Slippery fun.  I was never too cold.

Post ride hot chocolate and snack after a
great ride.  Why did I try to talk myself out of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment