Sunday, January 15, 2012

2012 Karate Monkey Build

In September last year two thoughts came together.  First, I read a MTB Action article about singlspeed mountain biking and began to think it might be fun to have a second mountain bike.  Second, I realized the corporate health and wellness reward from my employer would be credited to me in the coming weeks.  About this time I began shopping for bike parts.

Three months later my Surly Karate Monkey is complete!


I've only had it out on one shakedown ride so far.  My first observation was the quick handling of the bike.  This is likely due to the 2.5" shorter wheelbase compared to my Paragon.  The Monkey turns on a dime.

It's going to be interesting to see how the single speed and rigid front end work for me on the trail.  The 2.4" Maxxis Ardent up front will hopefully add enough squish to keep me from cracking.  I look forward to spending some time on this bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment