Sunday, May 23, 2010

When I grow up I want to be a mountain biker!

Today felt like a breakthrough day on the new mountain bike.  Ryan and I went down to Mohican to ride at the state park, and I'd say I felt pretty good on the fat tires.  
 
We spotted Chris and Lorena, from the cycling club, in the parking lot before heading to the trail head.  They were muddy and talked about the effect three previous days of rain had on the trail. 
 
With Ryan at the front, we proceeded to climb away from the trail head and settle in on the single track.  I was getting a much better feel for the bike and how to keep traction on varying terrain.  Having Ryan up ahead was a big help, as I could mimic his lines.  Plus, watching ahead was helping me keep my vision down the trail instead of on my front wheel.

After pedaling across the covered bridge we proceeded back into the woods for a climb Ryan called Mount Doom.  It was a good one, a challenge for my new found traction acquisition skills.  At the next road crossing, maybe mile 14 or 15, we diverted from the mountain bike trail to ride roads back to the parking lot, as I was expected back home.

Good stuff, good stuff!  I had a great time on the bike in the woods.  It makes me look forward to learning more on future rides, and Ryan's wheel is a good one to learn from.
My legs never looked this abused after
a road ride... well at least not on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment