Tuesday, April 20, 2010

2010 Boone Trip - #1 Tuesday

The truck is riding a couple inches lower.  Last night I packed it full of cycling gear, camping gear and food in preparation for leaving on our trip right after work today.  Everything fit in the truck pretty much as expected.  There’s a place for everything and I hoped everything was in its place.

 Two bikes, camping gear and food all in its place.

About 15:30 I made my exit from work and drove to Ryan’s house.  We added his gear to the truck and headed south.  We were on the road a little before 17:00.  It was a nice day for driving and before long we were crossing into West Virginia.  About 19:00 we stopped for a five dollar footlong dinner before continuing on to Charleston.

Just south of the West Virginia state capital is Kanawha State Forest, it’s a sizable green blob on the map.  We twisted our way through some neighborhoods before reaching the entrance to the state forest and shortly later we found the campground.  It was nearly dark as we setup the tent for the first time of the trip.

 Camping at Kanawha State Forest, WV.
The overnight low was supposed to be 51degrees which sounded like good sleeping bag weather to me.  As I read the Cycling the Blue Ridge High Country guide book in the tent by headlamp I heard two different owls calling out in the darkness.  I wondered if one of them lives in the hollowed out tree adjacent to our campsite?

 The wood peckers are active around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment