Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Monday Bike Commute

Mondays are a good day to ride to work, the morning ride makes for a nice introduction to the work week.  Last year I began commuting a couple days per week and surprised myself...

I thought the morning commute would be a bother.  I like to wake up and get to work as soon as possible.  For example, if I get out of bed at 6:30 I'm out the door by 6:45 and at work by 7:00 if driving to work.  I figured a 40 minute morning bike commute would have me thinking "come on, I just want to get to work to get the day started!"  And I figured the commute home would prompt me to take a longer route and add miles.

As it turns out, I thoroughly enjoy the ride to work and the ride home sometimes seems a bother.  Waking up on the bike is enjoyable and I still get to work by 7:30 if I leave home by 6:50.  On the way home I automatically take at least a slightly longer route due to traffic, there's too much traffic on my morning roads at the end of the day, but often end up thinking "come on, I just want to get home!"

With DNL in the picture it is more desirable to get home without delay.  Several times this year I have ridden to work and had KT pick me up while she is already on this side of the town getting groceries, etc.  Today Katie is going to pick up my bike during the day, after a grocery run, and I will ride home with a coworker.  He wants to see the chicken coop I built in the spring (now there's a project I'll have to share in a future update).

Oh yeah, a big benefit to pedaling to work... seeing a bike every time I turn around at my desk!



No comments:

Post a Comment