Friday, September 18, 2009

Eggcitement in the Backyard

I do believe it is time to introduce a project, especially with the big news of the day: we have our first egg!

For the past couple years KT has been interested in raising chickens.  This spring I gave in and built her a chicken coop as a birthday gift.

After submitting concept drawings to KT, I had an approved plan and began construction of what would be called a "chicken palace" by the neighbor.  The barn siding is 140 years old and was purchased from a farmer down the road.  He also gave me corrugated steel roofing a few years back to cover firewood piles.  I reallocated a few panels from the firewood area for use on the coop roof.  Enough talk, pictures tell the story:



 
 


And now, back to the big news of the day, four months after moving into their palace one of the six chickens laid her first egg!  Hopefully there are plenty more to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment