Saturday, April 25, 2015

Mixed Surface Overcast Wandering

Overcast days are my favorite to get out for a ride.  There's nothing like an early spring, chilly, and sun-less Saturday morning to keep many inside while I'm out on the road.  This morning was such a morning and I rolled out the driveway unsure of where I was headed.

This way looks promising!

I did have it in mind to go see if Shreve Lake looks any different, as it was drained over the winter due to a dam issue.  There's no fun in just riding straight there so I ventured out Wilderness Road past the peat bogs.

Bonus: gravel.

A turn here, a turn there... I enjoyed the quiet morning and waved to a couple farmers out plowing fields.  They know spring is here even if it didn't feel like it this morning.  I stopped to retrieve some dried apricots and cashews from the pocket of my wool jersey and ate up while some sizeable horses looked on.


Pitstop.

Eventually I made it to Shreve Lake.  It really didn't look any different than the last time I swung by, which is to say it looks rather strange.  Interesting to see the structure that fish must have been hiding around.  I wonder how many fisherman, with future vision, have mapped out the shallows for when the water and fish are back.

Still a drained lake.

No sense in taking the direct route home either.  I rode up the hill into Shreve and headed for some more gravel.  Coming back through the swamps I was impressed by a pair of blue winged teal that flew right in front of me at shoulder height.

It was nice to be out and about on two wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment