Saturday, April 11, 2015

A Lap of the Amish Country Roubaix

The Holmes County Fairgrounds at 8:30AM was the meeting place.  From there Ryan and I did a lap of the Amish Country Roubaix gravel road race course.

Rolling countryside.

Leaving the parking lot, it was in the mid 30's and the skies were clear.  I declared a beautiful morning was ahead of us.  We enjoyed sunny skies and warming temperatures.

"Gravel" road with most of the gravel
washed away this winter.

As expected we frequently consulted the map to find our way.  There was a good selection of gravel/dirt roads with some good climbs thrown in.  None of the climbs were the "break your soul" kind of climbs like we've found on some other rides, but I'll bet racing this course is tough.


Off the beaten path.

A little past halfway of the 50km loop as we started up a short hill I heard some drivetrain grumbling.  I shifted a few times and it seemed to cease, until a short distance later when my chain disconnected.  I looked down to see a chain wrapped around my cranks with both ends draping on the road.  Oh, this is not good.  First thought; "uh-oh, I didn't bring my multi-tool with a chain tool on it!"

Upon inspection it seemed the quick link had un-linked.  After a futile search for the missing half of the quick link we decided Ryan would ride back to the car and I'd walk, roll, and sulk.  And then...

 Okay, not on the course but we really
wondered where this double track headed
so we had to explore a little bit.

Cresting the hill we had just come up I saw a Soupcan Jersey or two!  Jason offered up his multi-tool, the same model I left laying on my work bench, and my chain was fixed in short order.

Kevin, Sally, Jason.

We finished the ride with Jason, Shawn, and friends.  Soon encountering the longest climb of the route, a road climb. We strung out while headed up, then regrouped, and had a good ride to the finish.  It was a nice morning for a ride and I was glad to pedal the second half instead of walking it!

No comments:

Post a Comment