Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Up Armored Black Mountain Cycles Bike

"Fenderrrrs!  Where's your fenderrrrrrrs!?"  I still remember an Amish guy yelling this to a group of us out on a ride in wet road conditions about five years ago.  We were all on road bikes and I dismissed the Amish yeller's advice as being uninformed.  Road bikes don't wear fenders.

Well, a few years later I put together my former cross bike for foul weather riding and thought of that Amish guy as I bought a pair of fenders.  He was right.  They provide a huge benefit by deflecting road spray away from yourself, away from those riding with you, and away from your bike.  It's nice to get back home and not have a spray of dirty wet tailing up your back.  Usually a quick wipe down of the frame is all that's needed to clean things up.

Aft protection.

My first ride on the new Black Mountain Cycles cross bike build did not include fenders.  I ran out of time and wanted to ride it, not spend another hour affixing fenders.  I came back from that first ride with a smile, a mud crusted downtube, and a skunk stripe up my back.  Now, where did I put all the bits and pieces to attach the fenders?

 Fore protection.

Mounting fenders can be one of those contrary tasks.  I like the fenders to be the right height above the wheel, a consistent height above the wheel, and aligned side to side.  It takes some fiddling to make it right, but the good thing is they usually remain that way without needing follow-up adjustment.

I learned of the Sheldon Nut, which is pretty slick,
but I just slipped the mounting tab in on the front. 

Fender are on and ready to due their duty.  I hoped for a Thanksgiving morning ride tomorrow, but a forecasted 19 degrees and snow is not looking good for a ride, even with fenders.

Fendered... is apparently not a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment