Thursday, May 16, 2013

Rack Attached

KT and the kids are gone for an overnight, so with the place to myself I got to work attaching the new roof rack system.

All the pieces and part laid out.

Attachment was very easy thanks to the factory mounting points on the roof of my Mazda 3.  Set the cross bars with Landing Pads loosely attached onto the roof, adjust for proper width and even bar stick out on both ends, then bolt it down.  It's solid.

Tightening the cross bars.

As previously mentioned in another post, I found a great seller on Craigslist.  He really took care of everything and included all the pieces, parts, and manuals.  In addition he gave me some advice about waxing the roof before installing the parts.  On his car this prevented any unwanted marks when the rack was removed.  I took his advice and laid down a coat of Meguiars NXT wax before installation.  You can see a reflection of the garage door opener on the ceiling in the pic above!

Of course I had to test it out with a bike carrier, so I threw one up there and lifted my bike into place.  The load and unload is very easy but may be challenging on top of my car unless you are 6' or taller.  Daniel is going to need to grow a little before throwing his bike up there.

Bike on the upper level.

No comments:

Post a Comment