Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Driving for a Roof Rack

Ever since owning the Mazda3 I have considered a roof rack.  Several times I looked up the list of Yakima and/or Thule components needed to make it happen and have choked on the high cost.

Last year I made my own standoffs and crossbars from wood.  They bolted into the factory roof mount points nice and secure but caused a lot of wind noise.  The intention was to attach a roof cargo tray not bikes on these rails, but I never used them.  It was a good attempt at a thrifty solution for a roof rack but it didn't work out.  Not to mention, I wouldn't have tried to mount a bike carrier on this setup.

Ever since my failed attempt I have checked Craigslist from time to time looking for a deal.  I finally found it.

On the road to pick up a rack, and more.

A guy was selling a Yakima setup that came off his Subaru.  Fortunately for me, the so-called "Yakima Landing Pads" that mate up the Subaru also mate up to my car.  Included in the sale were two "keep the wheels on" bike carries made by Inno as well as a third fork mount carrier also by Inno.  I called the seller and worked out a price for same day pickup.

Roof gear in the hatch.

Two hours of driving and I was loading the goods into my car.  Everything was in excellent shape, just as described.  I was glad to have found a good deal!  On the drive home I tried to think of ways to keep from driving roof mounted bikes in the garage; I have a few ideas.

Four hours driving after work,
arriving home in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment