Saturday, December 15, 2012

Gravel Hunting

After a too slow morning I saddled up at lunchtime for a ride.  I was craving some gravel so I pulled the cross bike, which has not seen much action since last winter, and pumped up the tires.  Good thing I hung it up ready to ride.

I'm glad the fenders were still mounted too.

I headed across Valley Road and soon left pavement behind.  There were big puddles to be found on the gravel section of Valley.  I was surprised to find ice puddles alongside the road.  It was 40 degrees with a feels like 36 when I left home.
Crunchy.
For the next hour I rode around the gravel roads of the swamps, waving at deer hunters.  There were vehicles at every pulloff and blaze orange figures everywhere.  I never did see anyone dragging out a deer.  I didn't feel too bad about scaring away potential targets as there were trucks and SUVs passing by pretty often anyhow.

Up out of the valley.

As usual, I liked being out on a cool, overcast day.  It's easy to stay comfortable by zipping up or down a wind layer.  I did get sprinkled by some sparse rain but only for a few minutes.  Nice afternoon for a cross bike ride.

A bridge in the swamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment