Friday, June 8, 2012

For Grandma

After declining health in recent years my grandmother passed away.  While sad to lose a loved one, I am thankful for her faith and the trust she placed in Jesus for her eternal salvation.  Grandma has shed her failing body and mind for the majesty of heaven!

This morning Ryan and I set out for a lap at Mohican, in remembrance of my Grandma.  It was a beautiful day of sunshine and warm temperature.  I had swapped the Maxxis Ardent tire from the Karate Monkey to the front of the Paragon, looking for a different feel than what I've been getting from the tubeless ready Bontrager tire.  My theory continues that the tubeless ready tire has heavier and stiffer sidewalls than a typical tire.  Being that I still run tubes, I think this causes a lack of feel in the tire from heavier sidewalls reinforced by tubes.


Going up.

While packing for the ride I debated whether to bring the camera or not.  In an instant I envisioned a picture of Ryan going around an uphill, right hand switchback on Mount Doom, so I brought the camera.  There are two places on the climb with the uphill corner matching my vision.  We stopped at the first and I snapped a couple pictures.  At the second such corner I stepped off the trail looking for an angle and realized someone else had trampled the area.  I looked down to check my footing and found a cell phone on the ground.  I flipped open the cell phone and it powered on, and into my jersey pocket it went.

After the rock garden near mile 20 we stopped at the boulders for a prayer in honor and memory of Grandma.  It was a nice place to pause and think of her.

 New hike-a-bike technique I'm working on.

A little further into the loop we stopped to admire the steep hike-a-bike  from the  Mohican 100, it's a good one.  Ryan took a picture of me from the side re-enacting the slog.  I was thankful not to be hoofing it up this hill today.

Going up?  Not today, but I did a week ago.

On the drive home I pulled out the cell phone and powered it on again.  Low battery, not surprising.  I browsed the contacts and attempted to call Dad.  "This phone is not registered..."  A little snooping in the sent/received texts turned up an address of the owner who must have dropped her phone while.. hiking?  Mountain biking?  Trail running?  So, I will put the phone in the mail and maybe Tiffany will get back with me about how she lost her phone, I'm curious.

It's been back to back to back to back weekends of effort.  Double lap at Mohican, roofing project, Mohican 100, and a lap today.  I think I'm ready for some R&R... or maybe some short road rides.

1 comment:

  1. Aaron thank you so much for taking the time to mail my phone back to me! I thought for sure it was a lost cause. I had been trail running and made it several miles down the trail before I discovered it was missing. I spent an hour and a half backtracking so I would be interested to know where you found it. I have since invested in a REI hydropack. Congrats on completing the Mochican 100, that is an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete