Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday vacation day = Mohican ride


I took the day off work while Katie and the kids were out of town.  The plan was to head down to Mohican to ride the loop. 

The past three days in a row I got in rides while the family was gone:  a short road ride after work on Friday, a longer road ride on Saturday with Ryan, and a partial loop at Mohican Sunday.

Unfortunately the forecast was not looking good at all for today with a chance of rain.  It didn’t help when I left the house a little later than expected in the morning and was greeted by rain drops on the windshield while driving south.  Oh well, it’s my day off and I would rather ride in a drizzle than not at all.

Damp in the woods.

I parked at the Discovery Forest parking lot and started the loop from there.  I rode about 15 miles beneath dry but threatening clouds.  The trail was damp but not too wet to ride.  It felt good to be out in the woods instead of at a desk on a Monday morning.

A slight but steady rain started about a mile before reaching the campground.  I had a slippery encounter with some rocks in a corner but no harm done.  As much as I wanted to ride the full loop I made the call to skip the first 4 miles and take the short loop connector backwards.
 Hitch-hikin' leaf.

The final five or so miles were wet but I was still having fun.  I made it a point to walk the bridge at about mile 5.  Good thing too, it was slick as I walked across it.

Back to the car I was wet but not drenched.  A wet day in the woods was better than a dry day in the office!

No comments:

Post a Comment