Thursday, June 30, 2011

New four wheeler

In the week previous to Ellen's arrival we were test driving cars and planning a swap of the truck for something more fuel efficient and fun to drive.  Of course a prerequisite for the vehicle was the ability to fit a bike inside and the ability to add a hitch for a bike rack. 

The first pick, and the car that started the whole idea, was the Honda Fit.  The cargo versatility in this small car is the selling point but unfortunately the tiny, underpowered engine offsets the cargo carrying prowess.  If this car had another 30 horsepower under the hood it would be in my garage right now.

At KT's suggestion we went to see our friend at Park Mazda and test drove the Mazda3 hatchback.  Now this is a fun car to drive with nimble handling and adequate power without sacrificing too much fuel economy.  Plus the styling, interior and out, trumps the Fit in our eyes.  The cockpit of the Mazda3 is exciting and useful.  The cockpit of the Fit... not so much.

 Mazda3 hatchback.

The first project with the car was a hitch for use with the bike rack.  The install went very smooth and I'm happy with how sturdy the attachment is on this car.  I've installed hitches on five different vehicles now and this is the most solid mounting I've seen on a car.

My helper with the instructions.

Not having the truck is going to be a disadvantage at times, but I know I'm always welcome to borrow dad's truck.  When it comes down to it, I only used the truck as truck about once a month and probably not every month.  Most of the time it was hauling bikes, which the car can do.  When it comes time to buy lumber or transport firewood I'll take dad up on his offer to borrow the truck.

I like hatchbacks.
 
 Side view.  My large Paragon 29er uses up the
whole hatch area lengthwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment