Tuesday, June 14, 2011

MTB Maintenance

 Tonight I was cleaning my mountain bike to take to the shop for its complimentary tune-up.  As I walked past my bike in the workstand I reached out and spun a pedal... it screeched at me.  Wow, that sounds dry.  Come to think of it I had never disassembled and greased this pair of pedals before.

Image I posted on the mtbr.com forum on the topic of Carve pedals.

The pedals are an inexpensive pair of Performance brand SPD compatible pedals, the Forte Carve.  They have been pretty solid for the past couple years on my mountain bikes and the previous three or four years on my cross bike.  Upon disassemble I realized they only have one bearing, with a bushing taking up the main load bearing duty.  Note to self: grease more often.

After cleaning and greasing they seem ready to have some more pedaling fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment