Saturday, July 31, 2010

Broken Brain

First thing in the morning I went down to Mohican thinking I would ride the whole loop but might opt out sooner than the full 25 miles depending on how I felt.  During the first 8 miles or so I felt okay but not terribly energetic.  Still, it was a nice morning in the woods and I figured I'd ride it out even if I ended up riding slow.

I always enjoy this valley scene, 
I think it's just after mile 5.

Well my plans changed somewhere between miles 10 and 11 as I recall.  There's a dirty drop off you can opt for on this section of trail and, as I've done before, I opted for it.  I rolled to the edge of the drop and scrubbed off some speed with my brakes as I rolled over the edge.  

All I can figure is that I held too much brake as I dropped down onto the trail below.  I remember skidding towards the edge of the trail trying to will my bike to stay left, away from the ravine-like drop off.  Quickly realizing I was going to crash off the edge, I thought "here comes a crash, at least this side hill looks open."

Next thing I realized I was headed over the bars.  "Great, this is an endo.  I wonder how far I'm going to go down this open hill side" I thought.  Midway through the air I was abruptly clobbered up side the head.  I instantly knew it was a tree and I instantly felt like I'd been hit with baseball bat.

I bounced down the hill side before landing on my butt, facing down the hill.  OUCH.  OUCH. OUCH!  I was hurting and mad as I took of my helmet, glasses and hydration pack before laying back and thinking about how much my head hurt.  The initial pain spike began to recede and I put my gear back on, said a few prayers, and stood up.

My bike was 15 feet uphill from me and the trail another 15 or 20 feet uphill from my bike.  I was thankful to feel coherent as I drug me and my bike back to the trail.  I walked a little with the bike before getting back on, wondering if I was in a well enough mental state to ride.  I continued to ride but slow.

At the covered bridge I sat down to drink and eat.  My right ear was throbbing but I couldn't find any blood.  I looked at my pupils in the rear view mirror of a car parked there and found them to be normal.  Ride the road back, hitch a ride, or... I decided to climb Mount Doom at a very reserved pace.  It was okay and took my mind off, well, my mind.

At the second road crossing after the climb I took the road back to my truck.  I wasted no time throwing in the bike and my gear and heading for home.  On the way home I really started to feel not well, nauseous and a pounding head ache.

KT got a very short version of the story and I headed for a shower and bed as she Googled "concussion".  An ice bag and Tylenol accompanied me to bed.  KT reported, "your brain has been injured!"  Oh what a great thought to fall asleep too, but with a few more prayers I dozed off.

After sleeping for several hours I feel much better, thankful for answered prayer.  I will be taking it easy for the next week, I've got an injured brain you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment