Saturday, February 23, 2013

Beavers Spotted

It was a nice afternoon to head out for a ride beneath sunny skies.  I rode west into the wind and headed across the Funk bottoms.

Abandoned house on Funk Road.

There's nothing like some good 'ol sunshine to make cool temperatures feel more comfortable.  It's not the effect of the sun heating you up, it just seems easier to be out in the cold with the sun shining down.

Sun behind, Amish haystacks ahead.

It's been a while since I rode across the Funk bottoms on Wilderness Road.  Sporting the cross bike and cross tires it was a good day to check out this dirty gravel road.  There was the ever present peat bog farming operations taking place alongside the road, and I noticed a new "pond" up ahead.

The water was frozen over, but I spotted a couple creatures out on the ice.  I reached for my camera with one hand while squeezing a brake lever with the other. Unfortunately my brake honked and two beavers wasted no time diving into a hole in the ice!  They were within 75 yards of where I stopped.  That would have been a cool picture.  Oh well, it was neat to see them fairly close.

Wilderness Road, pre-beaver sighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment