Monday, February 20, 2012

Gravel Swamp Ride

The forecast for the week changed and suddenly today, Monday, was the only day calling for sun.  In the middle of the afternoon I thought about getting out for an afternoon ride and realized I had not made the most of the cross tires much this winter.  Gravel... I need to find some gravel...

Heading down Valley Rd.

I mapped out a ride through the Shreve swamps on the gravel roads.  It was not a long route but was entertaining.  It was 38 degrees as I drove home.  I dressed for post-sunset freezing temperatures and headed out in the sunshine.

It looks like it's been there a while, but I do not
remember seeing this oil pump in previous swamp rides.

The air was crisp and the light was soft as I pedaled over gravel and dirt.  It was quiet in the swamps, with the exception of some kids in a jacked up truck.  The sun was setting when I found a "pond" I didn't know existed.  The setting sun and reflections on the stagnant water was a picture waiting to happen.

Darkness coming.

I climbed up Clarke and got my lungs and legs burning before looping back through Moreland to once again cross the gravel on Valley Road.  It was a bumpier ride through the dirt potholes on Valley coming back than going out.  The dips and bumps were more difficult to see in the dark, even with the headlight powered on.  My tinted sunglass lenses were not helping.

Passing by Moreland Fruit Farm on the way home.

It was another nice ride past sunset.  The temperature sure drops fast when the sun goes down.  I look forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment