Thursday, July 14, 2011

Man Down

For the last several weeks I've been taking my mountain bike to work with me in the back of the car.  Beginning on Tuesday I have bike and gear with me in hopes of getting out at a decent time and making it to the Knob.  I'm not sure that I ever made it over there on Tuesday, but I kept my stuff in the car and was able to ride either Wednesday or Thursday as my work schedule allowed.

After riding the Knob several weeks in a row I was starting to feel better connected with the course and felt like I was riding pretty good today.  As the lap went on I felt progressively faster.  After the Furnace and before getting back into the heavier woods I looked ahead and saw a banked corner.  I thought to myself "oh, I'm gonna rip that corner".  Problem is there was a little turn just before getting to the banker and I leaned too hard and lost the front wheel on some dusty trail.  Wham!  I was skidding down the trail head first in the ol' superman position.  I jumped up and looked at myself to find a bloody elbow, no ripped clothing, and not much else.  But, the elbow was leaking pretty good and was full of dirt.

Without much more than a pause I jumped back on the bike and followed the course, a bit slower, to get back to my car.  Oh man, brand new car and I'm dripping dirty blood.  I asked a guy in the parking lot if he had any first aid supplies, but all he had was a roll of paper towels.  After packing my bike up I was about to mummify my arm with paper towels when I looked in my front seat and remembered the stop I had made on the way to the Knob.  KT had asked me to pick up diapers for Ellen... perfect!  I strapped on an infant size 0 diaper on my elbow and drove home without concern over staining my new interior.

 In addition to a first aid kit, I'm going to keep several diapers
in the car for such situations.  It worked well!

 Ouch.

 Gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment