Friday, December 3, 2010

Bike Work Stand for Ryan

Some time ago I began work on making a bike stand for Ryan.  I had some ideas for improvement over the bike stand I made for myself several years back and was eager to see if they would prove out.  Of course a work stand can be purchased, but what fun would that be?  Plus, there's certainly a cost advantage to making your own stand if you can scrounge up some pipe.  Total out of pocket cost for this project was about $20.

The project was delayed for quite a few weeks as I searched for a steel plate for the base.  After having no luck, and after seeing that Ryan had been working on his bike on his basement floor, I compromised and built a wooden base.

As it turns out the stand and base seem to work pretty well.  I hope it performs as expected and elevates Ryan's bike work to a new level.  Ha!

Ryan's new work stand holding my bike and
my stand on the left.

The stand adjusts up and down for height with
telescoping pipes and a locking bolt with handle.

The bike is clamped into the stand via a
pipe clamp and padded wooden jaws.

The bike can be rotated and locked in place
with another bolt and handle.




No comments:

Post a Comment