Monday, June 25, 2012

Paragon Maintenance

My brand new Paragon needs some work... wait, how old is it?  Well thanks to my blogful ramblings, I see it's almost been a year and a half since I bought the bike.  I guess time flies when piloting a mountain bike.

Anyhow, I've noticed an increasing amount of oily crud accumulating on the fork stanchions after rides.  I've always been pretty diligent about wiping the stanchions and wiper seals down after rides, but I guess it's time to do some maintenance work.  Good news is I have the tools and know-how from the work with just did with Ryan's fork.  Now I need to get a seal kit and oil for my fork.

Fox F29 off the bike and on the bench.

In the process of removing the fork I had a look at the front brake and pads.  Whoa, pad life has been exhausted!  I thought it was getting close as I've been experiencing long brake lever throw the past couple rides, which makes sense now that I see how worn the pads are and how extended the pistons are.  Now I need to get some new brake pads.

Avid Elixir 5 front brake off the bike.

Alright, I have some pieces, parts, and supplies to procure.  The Karate Monkey is going to get some playing time until I get the work done.  I'm thankful to have two mountain bikes for my riding pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment